Friday, February 18, 2011

BRUNDON FIELDS AND THE MYSTERY OF THE RUBBER DUCKY PART 7

Let me start off by telling you that I hate surprises. As with most detectives, I like to know everything, so the people in my line of work try to stay away from surprises like this. But sadly, I seem to be a magnet for shocking events that catch me off guard. From being surprised by my rubber ducky being stolen by my algebra teacher turned terrorist, to meeting Jack Bauer, to having Green show up at my front door when he was supposed to be dead, I had encountered many sudden surprises in the last 24 hours and I did not like it one bit.

All of these things were big surprises, but the fact that my rubber ducky was still alive was the biggest surprise ever. I had seen it explode earlier on Green’s helicopter pad, so how could it be here all in one piece? My super fast thinking skills produced only two answers: either the rubber ducky I was seeing at this moment was a fake, or the one that had exploded had been a fake. At the moment, I was undecided about which idea was the correct one.

I thought I had been done with all of this. I thought Jack Bauer had taken care of Green and made sure he was locked up somewhere. What had gone wrong?

Before I could shut the door in Green’s face, Green shoved his way into my house, the gun still pointed at my forehead. I backed up hurriedly, trying to somehow escape from this evil terrorist that wanted my rubber ducky for some evil, mysterious plot.

Being the genius that I am, I backpedaled right into a wall. Green seized this opportunity to get right up in my face, close and personal.

With a wicked grin on his face, Green started to talk to me through clenched teeth. “You thought you were rid of me, didn’t you? Well, surprise, surprise, I am back! And this time, there will be no escaping me.”

I gulped. I could see the rage in Green’s eyes and I knew he meant business. The only thing that bothered me was why he hadn’t shot me yet. If he didn’t want me to escape, then why was I still alive? The only answer to this question that I could come up with is that it could be that he wanted me to see his evil scheme carried out. After all, his plan did have to do with my innocent rubber ducky.

Green continued. “You see, Brundon, I want you around for the grand finale. I want you to see what your rubber ducky can really do.” Yep, my thoughts were correct. He really did want me to stick around for the end.

“And what can my rubber ducky really do?” I asked. I made my question sound innocent enough.

Green just shook his head. “All in good time, boy, all in good time.”

“When will this good time come around?”

“Well, if you really want it, it can come in an hour.”

“Ok that sounds good.” I was hoping I wouldn’t regret those words later on.

“Very well, then. Off we go!” With that, Green grabbed my arm and led me back over to the front door, roughly shoving me outside and shutting the door behind him. I was now on my way to my most certain death. To say that I felt hopeless was an understatement. If I was Sherlock Holmes I would spring into action, disarm Green in a flash, and have him unconscious in under a minute. But unfortunately, this was not so. In reality, I was Brundon Fields, who had twigs for arms and sticks for legs.

There was no way I could take down Green, even if my life depended on it. Which it did.

I looked over at my driveway and noticed a big, white van. It reminded me of the type of van that plumbers and cable providers drive. I could see through the driver’s side window and noticed a man sitting behind the wheel. I assumed he was another one of Green’s henchmen.

Green continued to guide me down my front sidewalk and closer to the van. His gun was still pointed at me and his hand still gripped my arm rather tightly. Turning slightly, I made eye contact with him and asked him the one question that had been on my mind for the past minute.

“What happened to Jack Bauer?”

Green scoffed. “I took care of him.”

“What is that supposed to mean?”

He sighed, obviously annoyed by my questions. “It means that when the helicopter landed, he was met by twenty machine guns aimed at his face, ready to blow him to pieces.”

“Oh.” That was all I could muster to speak. The thought of Jack being overwhelmed by terrorists was too much to bear.

We had reached the van. Green led me around to the back and opened the van doors, pushing me up and shoving me inside. I landed face down and scraped my chin on the carpet floor. Rug burn.

After rubbing my skinned chin, I looked around the back of the van. This is when I realized that there was someone next to me. There were no windows in the back part of the van, so I could only see a black outline of the person.

Green opened the passenger side door and climbed in. After buckling his seatbelt, he turned around to me. “Knock him out.”

I immediately swung my head over to the black figure next to me, but it was too late. WHACK! I received a heavy blow to the head, and it was suddenly lights out for me. The last thing I saw before I faded into the blackness was my attacker leaning in towards my face, his fist lined up for a second strike. Since the attacker was much closer to me now, I could see his face. I was completely surprised by what I saw because staring back at me was the face of my previous rescuer, Jack Bauer.

No comments:

Post a Comment