Friday, February 11, 2011

BRUNDON FIELDS AND THE MYSTERY OF THE RUBBER DUCKY PART 1

BRUNDON FIELDS AND THE MYSTERY OF THE RUBBER DUCKY
By Jonathan Hausler

(PART ONE)

It all started when I lost my rubber ducky. Yes, I still have a rubber ducky. Yes, I still take baths with it. Yes, I am weird like that. Usually I blame these disappearances on myself, because I am constantly losing things. But this time, it was different. My rubber ducky always sat in the same spot on the side of my bath tub. I never move it.

So when I woke up on Monday morning and walked into the bathroom to take my morning bath, I was astonished to find that my rubber ducky was missing. It felt like a part of me had died. How could I take a bath without my rubber ducky beside me?
With tears in my eyes, I took a bath all alone, with my little playmate no where in sight. It was the most depressing bath I had ever taken.

I was determined to get to the bottom of this mystery. Whoever had stolen my precious little duck would pay dearly. I, detective Brundon Fields, would find my beloved rubber ducky.

My work as a detective so far was not great. I had solved several cases in my career, but they were minimal things such as why my middle school crush Suzy suddenly stopped liking me and how my pencils had gotten out of my backpack. Needless to say, if I found my rubber ducky, it would be the big break I had been looking for.

My first suspect was Mom. As I had gotten older, she had tried several times to take my ducky. I had caught her every time. She thought I was too old to take baths with a rubber ducky. But maybe this time she had gotten lucky…
After I was all clean and dry, I confronted my mother in the kitchen.

“Mom, have you seen my rubber ducky anywhere?”

She shook her head. “No, I haven’t seen it. Why? Is it missing?”

I nodded. “It’s gone.”

“Aw, honey, I’m sure it will turn up somewhere.”

As much as I hated to admit it, Mom was telling the truth. I knew this because she was a horrible liar and she could never keep a secret if you asked the right questions. When you live with someone for all of your sixteen years of life, you get to know almost everything about them.

First suspect: innocent.

Defeated, I walked back into my room and crashed onto my bed. I let my thoughts take over, trying to figure out some logical explanation for how this could’ve happened. I looked over at the clock on my nightstand to see how much time I had before I needed to leave for school. That’s when I saw the yellow piece of paper. It was lying right beside my clock, looking as though it had always been there. But it hadn’t. I didn’t see it there when I woke up this morning.

I reached over and grabbed the paper, curious as to what it said. Maybe it had to do with my missing rubber ducky…
What I read shocked me:

Brundon Fields,
If you want to see your rubber ducky ever again, meet me in the boy’s bathroom by the gym at 3:00.
Yours Truly,
Green

The letter was typed, erasing the possibility of tracking the handwriting. Whoever this person was, he or she was very, very good.

This mystery just kept getting more and more complex. How could someone have stolen my rubber ducky and then left a note without me noticing? I was Brundon Fields! I notice everything!

Still holding the letter, I got off my bed and walked over to my backpack. It was time for school. Whatever this school day held for me, I knew one thing for sure: I had a bathroom appointment at three o clock, to get my rubber ducky back once and for all.

2 comments:

  1. Cliff hanger! haha this is awesome Jon, can't wait for part 2.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Britney! I'll put part 2 up soon.

    ReplyDelete